Level 9


Level 9

HARBOUR TOWN LIGHTHOUSE

HiltonheadFor as long as man has gone down to the sea in ships, lighthouses have dotted the coastlines of the world. It has come to be known as a universal symbol of safety and comfort. In the Lowcountry there are five important lighthouses, each with its own history and purpose, yet all sharing in the task of bringing mariners safely home.

It is fitting that this lighthouse at Harbour Town has come to be the symbol of Sea Pines Plantation, a community that has been designed around the comfort and safety of its inhabitants.

The Harbour Town Lighthouse, at ninety feet above Calibogue Sound, is the first privately funded lighthouse to be built in this area since the early 1800s. Although it was never meant to be an official navigational light, it has helped many a boater find safe passage through the fog back to Harbour Town. Completed in 1970, its distinctive candy striped octagon image has been broadcast the world over during the televised World Com Classic, rising up the famed 18th green of Harbour Town Golf Links.

THE WORLD FAMOUS HARBOUR TOWN LIGHTHOUSE ON HILTON HEAD ISLAND

HARBOUR TOWN LIGHTHOUSE

Hilton Head has two lighthouses: the world-famous Harbour Town Lighthouse and a lesser recognized structure located in Palmetto Dunes Resort known as the 1880 Hilton Head Rear Range Light. The rear range light was a skeleton tower built by the U.S. Lighthouse Service and it was also known as the “Leamington Light.” It now graces one of the golf courses inside the plantation property. This is Hilton Head Island’s first light station, which originally consisted of two range lights–one atop the 95-foot skeleton tower and the other atop a front range light, which was a shorter structure located a mile away and could be moved as the shoals shifted. It was the difficult task of the lighthouse keeper to check on the movement of the sandy shoals that approached the island and position the movable structure so that it aligned with the rear range light for mariners to gain a safe passage through the channel. The hexagonal lantern room of the Hilton Head Rear Range Light was reached by climbing 114 steps in the central tower to the lantern where the light from kerosene lamps were intensified by a Fresnel lens and its hundreds of prisms. When lit, the rear range light was visible for approximately 15 miles out to sea. First commissioned in 1880, these range lights were taken out of service in 1932 and a modern, decorative light was installed in the skeleton tower. The two original lighthouse keepers’ cottages, said to be haunted, were moved to Harbour Town in the mid-1970s to preserve them.

BLOODY POINT BAR RANGE LIGHT ON DAUFUSKIE ISLAND (1883)

HAIG POINT REAR RANGE LIGHT (1872) ON DAUFUSKIE ISLAND IN
CALIBOGUE SOUND